Saturday, February 3, 2018

the phantom thread

there must be a social, central premise I'm missing, right? here's the trailer. "you can sew almost anything into the canvas of a coat". it must be the case that something is sewn into this movie... with phantom thread!!!

that being said, I have no inkling what it is. Except, of course, my boyfriend's premonition, after seeing the trailer alone, that it was about a gay man and his perhaps unknowing beard. I went into watch with this idea and came out like half-satisfied? but my family got mad at me, my mom's homophobic :(

(she is working on it tho)

perhaps

anyway , the trailer at least, and the poster, are so spookily intense that I just can't drop that there's something more to the film, a hidden drama. because else, there is not much there, at least, for my modern eyes. you get the scene showing off the dress and you must think, as a modern viewer, that this dress looks like snow white disney, it is not appealing to me, but in the movie everything possible is done to make it in context as if it is beautiful, and it is, to these past 1950's people.

but at the end, maybe, there's a kind of red herring, with the twist is she is poisoning him, at least sometimes, and it's kind of a jolly conclusion. which feels like a red herring, because the movie is a comedy. it could just be a very subtle film about the subtle winning over of daniel day lewis's character to a position just right of total mediocrity. is it his interior that is so mysterious?

I mean imagine the trailer but done in the style of last vegas, you would get a closer picture of the film, which is full of jokes, like light comedy-of-manners jokes. There's a hint of a mystery like in "Eyes Wide Shut" where it zips up and you don't gain access.

No comments:

Post a Comment