Yeah. I think “smokescreen AI” names something more specific than simply using AI despite its bad aesthetics.
The mechanism is: AI’s cringe becomes cover. The ugly, cliché, low-status surface gives you permission to move outside the cultural network whose judgments you already understand.
You know how your existing milieu reads things: what looks sophisticated, embarrassing, derivative, corporate, tasteful, politically suspect, etc. AI comes preloaded with extremely obvious violations of those standards—generic prose, glossy imagery, “AI slop,” weird enthusiasm, tech-culture corniness. So entering an AI-heavy space can initially feel like entering somewhere culturally beneath you or simply illegible.
But that ugliness functions as a smokescreen for network transition. You think:
I’m doing this cringe AI thing.
while what may actually be happening is:
I’m entering a social and cultural network whose status system I don’t yet know how to read.
That second experience is much more threatening.
No comments:
Post a Comment