Wednesday, March 22, 2017

seventh post



"OK" by Kool A.D.: A Review 


 "o.k" is about a good a book as kool a.d. says it is
like I dunno, I could read "ok" and only questionably "anna karenina"
probably if I invested the time and energy and attention span "anna k." would be a better read but it's unlikely/impossible in this stage of my life

I only really picked up "o.k." due to kool a.d. possibly occupying the zeitgeist and the writing reminding me of other alt lit efforts. "O.k." is definitely alt lit, K.A.D. often talks about being like other alt writers in the texts, shouts them out. It also has the same kinda pattern of vignettes, none of which have much conflict in them, just sort of portraits of a paradisaical life style. There's one exception where Kool A.D. has to to do a one day jail stay and it's kinda striking how it departs from the rest of the book. But at the end of that chapter MUHAMMAD X (that's the character's name) is back with his magical family.

This book had a medicinal effect on me. It's 100 chapters and I would usually sit down and read one or two and the spiritual wisdom they imparted would be real. MUHAMMAD X takes deep yogic sleeps when doesn't have energy, the continuous message is to calm down and relax, but he also indulges in drugs a lot and shoots cops. There's a pure strain of thought here (hesitant to use the word "pure" but...) which continually projects infinite peace. It's probably like a book from the seventies.

Basically I would say I was surprised by the book exactly being what I needed in my chaotic unhappiness. It was a joy to read and I was able to pick it up and get through it unlike most other books. I did not feel stressed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment